Monday, October 22, 2012

Food, wine and life!


Two wonderful days in Argentina experiencing the great food and culture!  I like to think I am somewhat of a foodie – I love cooking, eating and celebrating life through the senses!  So I spent Friday at cooking school with a fun group of people from all over the world, learning how to make empanadas, mate’, and a decadent caramel and chocolate sweet.  And of course, drinking some wonderful Malbec wines from Mendoza to finish it off.  It was a fabulous experience and one that I am glad I didn’t miss.  I’d had rather a big night the evening before, being wined and dined by some friends and professional colleagues, and I certainly didn’t deny myself the excellent food and wine offerings there.  But of course, everything has a price and I admit the head wasn’t mine the next day.  So I almost begged off going to school.  But ever the determined one who hates to fail….I tackled the subway with my pathetic Spanish and dragged myself into school for the day….and for my efforts, thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Of course, the body then had to be thrashed a little in the gym as I am convinced I am trailing some additional sizes than I started with!
Then Sunday was spent out on the ranch, or estancia as they are called here.   The estancia I visited is called the Estancia Santa Susana and is located in an area called Los Cardales in the country outside Buenos Aires.  The ranch was established in the early 1800s by an Irishman and he named the property ‘Susana’ after his wife.  The property is around 3000 acres today but was once much bigger.  Unfortunately, as is the case in many countries, agriculture is not managing to pay the bills so between selling off land and transforming the business into a tourism venture, the family are able to maintain their links to the land and share with others their passion for Argentina.  A wee bit of horse riding, learning the tango and molongo, and of course, more food and Argentine wine were the order of the day.  This time though, a variety of BBQ’d and smoked meats cooked over this long pit of hot coals was on offer.  There is an amazing amount of meat eaten in this country and they eat everything and I mean everything.  Apparently about 60kgs a year per person!!  I am stunned that they aren’t all dying of heart disease!  But the upshot of all that meat….some wonderful leather products!
Anyway, in my travels I have met some really interesting people nonetheleast of which is a gentleman who teaches literature and philosophy at the University of Buenos Aires.  He has coined the phrase here “gastrosophy” which challenges the more European “gastronomy”.   “Gastro” of course means of the stomach, and “onomy” means law whereas “Sophia” means something like of the heart and soul.  So his philosophy is that food should be experienced according to the heart and soul and not according to some ‘law of the stomach’.  I like his thinking!!!!