Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cowboys and Culture in Dallas-Fort Worth


View from the Book Depository

Dallas-Fort Worth, or the “Metroplex”, is primarily comprised of two very interesting yet completely different large cities separated by about 50kms of suburbs and smaller cities that now bridge the two.  Dallas is clearly the commercial and financial hub whereas Fort Worth exudes history.  While Dallas has its fair share of history, my sense was that its history is more closely linked to the contemporary world.  It’s a thriving place with modern architecture and interesting public art.  I didn’t get to explore much, as jet lag was pursuing me rather aggressively, but I did have the opportunity to do the absolute must…..take a walk on the grassy knoll!  I also took the time to visit the 6th Floor Book Depository Museum which was incredibly interesting and a real compliment to the city of Dallas in the way it presents the life, death and legacy of President John F Kennedy.  Dallas is renowned for its museums and art galleries so I will make the effort to return and explore those.  But my brief first visit was rewarding and certainly provided a taste of what Dallas has to offer.

Fort Worth has wonderful old buildings and its downtown feels a little more culturally sophisticated but that might be a bit rough and unfair on old Dallas.  FW has its roots in the Chisholm Trail having been a stop on the long cattle herding trails of the ‘wild west’.  In fact, FW is today known as the home of the cowboy and it certainly does have that feel about it.  I was a little underdressed without my cowboy boots!  The marketing slogan at present for the city is “cowboys and culture” and that aptly describes FW. I really enjoyed this city, its ‘honky tonks’, the cowboy feel, and the relaxed laid back friendly welcome.  
I definitely will make this a ‘weekend away’ stop again.