Saturday, October 20, 2012

BA Street Art


Along with a fascination for cemeteries, I confess that I am also really interested in street art and graffiti.  So on Thursday I joined two Venezuelans on a Buenos Aires Street Art Walking Tour.   It was fantastic and the street art scene here in BA is thriving with some very talented artists doing large scale work.  Of course there is a lot of tagging which is just rubbish (and illegal) but I was really impressed with the wall murals and public art that can be found just about anywhere.  I also thoroughly enjoyed not only the company and conversation but also walking through some of the outer suburbs or barrios as they are called, as I wouldn’t ordinarily have wandered through those suburbs alone.  This is a fascinating city of contrasts between upscale luxury and real poverty but one thing is certain; it’s a city of high energy and passion which can be found in everything from the way people engage with each other and their hand gestures, to the street art.