Sunday, November 4, 2012

Farewell Buenos Aires


What to make of Buenos Aires?  After three weeks wandering the streets, it would be arrogant to suggest I am anywhere near having a handle on this city.  Each time I take a corner I discover something different and often unexpected.  Each street of the city is unique and has its own character; from the architecture to the people and even the breeds of dogs on leads.  I guess that is not unlike most cities but this is certainly a city of extremes.  Magnificent old and new buildings side by side with other woeful examples of architecture; wealth and extraordinary levels of poverty coexisting in the same space; glistening clean beside reeking piles of garbage hosting dead animals and who knows what; and politics that polar opposites.  It is an assault on the senses not unlike Milan or Genoa.  An old city still figuring out how to preserve the old while creating the new.  It’s a city awash in people (12 million and counting), culture, arts, fashion, food, and pretty much everything else that one can imagine of a city with a chaotic, and sometimes violent history.
I was reminded of these extremes the other day.  I was luxuriating in the dappled shade of a tree in the old Plaza Durango, sipping a lovely Mendoza Sauvignon Blanc watching the antics of the hawkers and buskers, when a small boy of about 10 years old with extraordinary patience and skill caught a pigeon.  My initial thought was ‘wow’ as I watched him cradle that pigeon gently stroking it.  Then in a blink of an eye, he snapped its neck and ran off with a couple of other little street kids to enjoy what was their freshly caught lunch!  I was speechless for sometime processing what my eyes had seen.  It’s amazing to me that there but for some quirk of the universe that allowed me to be conceived where and when I was, go I.  Associated with this experience, I have also struggled with the wastage I have observed.  Buenos Aires folk love their beef.  On average, Argentinians consume around 60kg of beef a year per person.  I am told that is about 1.2kg per person per week, which if you were eating it every day is, probably an easy target.  But for me, who rarely eats beef these days, it’s beyond comprehension.  However, feeling the need to sample what others constantly babble about while almost salivating, I ordered a tenderloin fillet last night.  I am sure I was served half a cow!  It was magnificent and it did melt in the mouth but no….I couldn’t consume it all.  So, needless to say, it went to waste.  Leftover tenderloin beef or a dirty pigeon? Something seems out of balance.
But I guess it is all part of that wonderful thing called cultural difference.  Travel provides such amazing nourishment for the mind and soul and it’s these types of challenges and grappling with how you respond to those challenges, which I am really grateful for.
So to sum up Buenos Aires:  unexpected, a little ‘shady’, but incredibly interesting Prepare to be perplexed.
Snapshot notes:  English is not widely spoken at all, despite what tourist books will tell you so learn some Spanish; pick-pockets are many and very good at their task; Argentinians don’t like spicy food; red wine is cheap but very good; and ‘it’s a good wife’ I am…apparently.