Monday, August 27, 2012

The spice of life


I think it was Princess Irulan from Dune who said “The spice extends life.  The spice expands consciousness….The spice is vital to space travel.”  While if my memory serves me correctly, she was talking about a gas only found on the imaginary planet of Arrakis (ie Dune) which allowed the Spacing Guild to bend time and space, the meaning can nonetheless be bent to my purposes also.  That is; travel is a spice that extends life and it certainly does expand the consciousness. I am addicted.
I am re-energized by everything I experience when travelling.  Everything from the smells all around me; the sounds be they natural or otherwise; the taste of the cuisine and local beverages; to of course, the sights that fill my viewfinders (be they natural or otherwise).  The people I meet amuse, challenge, engage and enthrall me.  The cultural differences expand the mind and teach me lessons, and I always then spend countless hours examining my experiences and pushing my boundaries of knowledge and attitude just that little bit more each time.
I am fortunate to be able to travel.  But I have seized opportunities, chased them – some requiring sacrifices and some sacrifices that have been difficult on the heart to make.  But the rewards for me are worth it and continue to fully compensate.
My challenge travelling these days has come from an unexpected source.  But one which again teaches lessons and keeps me grounded to my past.  That is; these days the body is not so complicit in my adventures and likes often add to the challenge of travelling and adventuring.  But you know what….while ever I can, I will, come what may!!!