Monday, August 6, 2012

Stuff

Houston city view from balcony 

Its amazing how such simple things can cheer one up.  This week I have managed to bedeck my empty nest with a new plant and today, my new washing machine, clothes dryer and TV arrived.  It is almost inane that I can be chuffed by household stuff but the truth is that having some familiar things around you can and does enable one to feel a little more at home.  But obtaining those odds and sods has proven to be a challenge in my new city. 

Laundries in the USA are all vented and many have gas fitted so there is no such thing as a simple old clothes dryer.  And long gone are the days of a daggy old twin tub or the Whirlpool or Maytag workhorse.  Everything is rather fancy with lots of buttons and lights.  And yep….they are bigger.  Then of course there are discounts galore with outlets competing for customers and don’t forget your coupons!  And much like my meal ordering and car purchase; everything comes with ‘sides’ whether that be an extra warranty or guarantees or all sorts of accessories.  Nothing comes included – not even the hoses.

So don’t get me started on the television selection.  I am sure C stressed over that and researched the perfect model for a couple of weeks.  I mean – its just a TV.  But of course, it must be big because its simply not possible to watch sport on a small screen…apparently. 

But I won’t complain as all these little things make our house a home and it is fun figuring out how my new city works and the rules of the game!