Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sunset pondering

Its a beautiful winter afternoon in Houston.  Chilly but not unpleasant and the colour of the sunset reflecting on the stone of the buildings around me is that wonderful buttery yellow with hints of orange and pink creeping in.  There is a lovely gentle breeze and a subtle scent of evening dinner cooking wafting through the air.  Coincidentally, there is a brilliant shaken, but not stirred, dry martini sitting beside me.  Ahh...perfect.  Its almost Christmas and the homes around me are lit up with all their festive lights and colours.  Houstonians are starting to chill and relax a little.  I notice it out on the local street.  People just seem a little more cruisey which is great.

So what of my first US Christmas as a local? Actually, I pack up the truck on Thursday and set my wheels westward.  Yep...I'm hitting the trail for the wild west.  Cruising across the southern States through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona to California.  Then I don the winter bikini for the cruise along the Californian coastline, taste some wines in the Napa Valley, and walk the Golden Gate Bridge before turning eastward.  Then on through Nevada and Utah before hitting the slopes in Colorado.  From there, I'll check in with Dorothy and Toto in Kansas, before singing a tune with Curly McLain in Oklahoma.  Finally the long run back down into Texas.  Five weeks of road tunes and travel snacks.  Can't wait.

Apart from my very patient and extraordinarily tolerant travel partner who is one of a small group of people prepared to listen to me belt out songs en route, I will also have my trusty Nikons and the new GoPro.  So I hope to share my happy snaps and stories along the way, so please come along for the ride.