Monday, November 26, 2012

Pure White


Serene; pure; cleansing and simply magnificent.  That is what fresh snow is to me and when that snow is draped across the Canadian Rockies and hugging the shores of Lake Louise, one can’t help but feel alive and the soul renewed.  Coming over the mountains into the Bow River valley in Banff National Park is always an amazing sight and I can literally feel my lungs and heart expand.  I love this part of the world and I don’t think that I will ever tire of the place.  Its as though time slows down and life takes on a completely different meaning.
This trip was probably the most leisurely I’ve done.  No timetable to follow – except to be back at the Calgary International by 11am on 25 November.  Beyond that, I could explore, ski or not ski, shop or not shop, relax or not relax and of course, eat drink and be merry.  I chose the “explore, ski and not relax” option.  For so early in the winter season, the snow conditions in Banff National Park were perfect. A snow pack of 106cm and 71cm of fresh snow in the last 7 days – no one can complain.  I checked out the Sunshine Ski Resort and the Lake Louise Ski Resort.  Both very different but equally fantastic skiing and views to die for.  There is something truly special about standing on the precipice of the mountain looking down at Lake Louise! 
I stayed in Canmore this time; a little town just south of Banff and I really enjoyed the change.  Far from the touristy style of Banff and very much a local mountain community.  Funnily enough, I had two great nights out – the first in the Drake Pub chatting to an Australian fellow who has been living in Canmore for 10 years and then the second in a fantastic wine lounge, the Sage, which is owned by an Australian who is married to a Canadian.  Almost can’t escape my fellow countryman.  But it is easy to see why so many Australians travel to Canada – its not only an amazingly beautiful place, but the people are incredibly welcoming and friendly and seem to share the same curiosity about the world as many Australians do.
I think that if one has the opportunity to go anywhere once in their life, the Canadian Rockies has to be high on the list.