Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lessons

Its cocktail hour in Houston.  So, I'm sitting here on my wonderful little 'Juliet' balcony with a G&T in hand, surrounded by blooming Magnolia's, Jasmine, Wisteria and all manner of spring flowers, and with my little balcony mates somewhat disconcerted by my presence.  But its a kind of witching hour for me where my mind is calm and able to ponder the challenges and gifts of the last week.  For me, its been a challenging month.  The demands of life require my presence, but my body has been determinedly taking me to places that are difficult on the heart and soul.  Chronic disease is a constant companion for those that suffer some form of it.  Sometimes quiet and thankfully absent, and then other times she barges in through the front door without a care in the world and totally disrupts your peace and quiet.  She is the kind of visitor who is demanding, petulant, disrespectful of your intimacy and needs along with those of others in the house, exhausting and absolutely dreadful.  But you can't get rid of her...certainly not without some assistance.  Patience is truly tested beyond belief, and the heart just wants to give in to her demands.  But my gift....my partner, C, who never gives in and doesn't allow our unwelcome visitor to overcome.  He is a constant source of energy and positivity, love and encouragement.  He gives me power in the sails to push through the rough sea and to hang in there.  The other gift this week....Nurse Michelle, who is always ready to give a smile and share a joke and convince you all will be good tomorrow.  I should also say modern medicine is a gift.  I think often of my amazing and beautiful grandmother who must have lived through sheer agony and without the benefits of the modern treatments today.  When I woke up this morning and the sun was shining and I was pain free for the first time in 18 months, I smiled, stretched out like a cat, and gave thanks for everything I have in my world!!