Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Morning smiles


I have decided that every day has a little gem in it no matter how mundane the day’s activities may seem.  For example, this morning I took the Explorer in for its service.  Nothing fancy in that right?  But along the 40 minute drive to the service centre, I was blessed with numerous little ‘moments’ that brought a smile to my face.
My first gem was probably the worst bed head hair you’ve ever seen.  But not just any early morning bed head.  No this one was perched atop Barbie Grandma who was out in her silk dressing gown and pink fluffy slippers taking pookie for a pee.  What was amusing about this was simply the fact that she was walking along the green patch on the edge of the footpath in a quite upmarket area of the city centre but on a very busy road.  Only in America for that one.
Thinking that my fashion moment had been and gone for the day, I was most happily surprised to then get another one – this time a cyclist caused the corners of my mouth to rise again.  Not your average Lycra wearing click-clacker.  Nope this fella decided that he would start his day wearing his full body leopard print Lycra suit along with some Elton John glamour specs.  I almost run up the gutter with that one.
Then it was the floral armchair perched on a traffic island that made me smile and wish for my camera.  Now that one mightn’t seem odd, but put it this way - the freeways here are 6 lanes wide each way; that is, 12 lanes across.  These lanes are all occupied, generally 24/7, by big 4X4 trucks all driving easily 120 to 140kms an hour and if you are lucky, the drivers might be busy texting, talking on mobiles,  eating or even drunk.  So to see a lovely old floral armchair/recliner sitting smack bang in the middle of this driving nightmare is not only a true mastery of engineering but also an irony to look at – a recliner for chilling out in, sitting happily in amongst the speed and stress of Houston traffic.
My final gem, all before 8am, was the ubber friendly coffee man.  I just love the “yes maam”, “there you go, darlin” and “yall have a great day now” that you get here.  I think I even got a blessing with my coffee.
So…I wonder what the rest of the day will bring!!!