Friday, July 6, 2012

Pubs..Houston style


So it’s a hot Houston summer sunset following a long day of house hunting.  Only one thing for it…...swing by a local pub for a quiet drink before heading home to settle in for the night.  Driving down Westheimer, I come across an innocuous looking bar with a beer garden out front.  Nothing like I am used to, but what the heck, decide to give it a shot.  Driving into an incredibly crowded car park, being marshaled to a parking bay by a State Trooper or Police officer or at least an officially uniformed chap with a gun and Taser, I begin to wonder whether this pub is right for me.

Chuy’s, which apparently does ‘kick ass Tex Mex’ turns out to be a fabulous and colorful haven from the heat.  The house margaritas would kill a cactus with delicious kindness and the local Texas “Shiner” Buck beers go done really well. 
 
The atmosphere is fantastic and relaxed.  The crowd is such an eclectic mix of people from singles, couples, old, young, to families and people from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds.  And there are so many nooks and crannies to this place one begins to think of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry….endless hidey-holes behind a tiny street frontage!

But then it’s time to go…..so I dodge the chaos in the car park being artfully managed, and as I walk back to the car, I ponder the fact that this huge pub car park is not only chockers with ‘trucks’ double parked while the drivers quench their thirst, but its also being supervised by a Police Officer, and I realize that the Houston drinking culture may be somewhat different to what I know. 

I’m not in Kansas anymore Toto!!!