Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bigger in Texas

A 'no wait' emergency room??

It is said that everything is bigger in Texas and Houston doesn’t disappoint, particularly on the roads. 

My first USA driving lesson was not only given by a southern gent pushing Octonagerian status, but on highways that are 6 and 7 lanes wide one way and where every vehicle seems to be twice as large as my little rented sedan.   I am sure it was obvious that I was a ‘newcomer’ because I not only was driving a sedan but it was a ‘foreign car’ to boot!   Yes ma’am….I stood out.  I also drove slowly which is apparently quite odd.

Then of course, Houstonians do gridlock very well.  I drove C to work today and what should have been a 10 minute trip, grew exponentially into a 1 hour journey.  Practically had to pack lunch! 


Just your average ambulance
But I did learn something valuable from the experience….Perth drivers aren’t the worst in the world after all and you should go to the loo before starting out.