Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Algarve, Portugal

After what seems like a never ending winter, I went chasing some sun.  The only catch with living in Europe is 'option paralysis'!  With early summer on my UK doorstep, I decided that I needed to get some sunshine into my Australian blood but I was just overwhelmed with the options of where I could go.  In the end, I just grabbed a package deal and found myself in Portugal on the Algarve coastline.

Beach holidays are usually not my thing.  I was incredibly blessed in my youth not only living within koo-wee's distance of some of the best beaches in the world, but I have also worked in the Whitsunday Islands on the Great Barrier Reef.  So to say 'other' beaches don't hold intrigue for me is probably fair.  I generally seek out culture, environment and culinary delights!!  However, there are times when the body screams for some R&R and sun and that, this week, was me.

Now, let me be clear, my comments are not to say that The Algarve doesn't have culture, environment and culinary delights to sample!  It is however a very touristy place and popular for Brits and Northern Europeans.   The odd bachelor and bachelorette parties are not an unusual sight.  It does however seem to have a disconnect with that true sense of Portugal's amazing history.  Given that Portugal has been continually fought over and settled since prehistoric times, its hard to find even remnants of that in this area.

I'm told that the Algarve's history is seeded in fishing villages and trading ports which is not surprising given its location.  The Phoenicians were among the first to establish trading ports in around 1000BC.  They were followed by the Carthaginians, the Romans, the Visigoths and then the Muslim conquest in 711.  So there is history and there are even some ruins around the coastline to be found.  But it is very much a beach resort area today....and a lovely one to be sure.

What I did enjoy though was the wonderful white washed buildings, the Moorish/Portuguese architecture, the marble tessellated footpaths and the relaxed laid back nature of the local community.  There is no rushing around here!

The Algarve is also famous for its pottery and ceramics and particularly the hand-painted tiles.  I love how many a street sign is simply painted tiles on the side of building.  And the mosaic tiles skirting the base of many buildings just adds a flare to the otherwise bright whites of the simple homes.

Seafood is the other enormous attraction....the Algarve people live on the stuff and I have to say for this Australian girl, getting access to some fabulous seafood was a joy.  I particularly loved the grilled  octopus, sea bass and the sardines!  The food culture is very simple here but good quality produce doesn't require artistic devices!!  Portugal also makes some wonderful wines and I would encourage anyone visiting to forget the wines from elsewhere in the world and do yourself a favour - try the local stuff!!!