Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Goodbyes and Hellos

I have a great Uncle and Aunt who, when I was a kid, moved on a regular basis, sometimes every three years.  I remember thinking that they were crazy.  My world was constant, reliable and completely predictable or so I thought and that, for a shy farm kid, was perfect.  I couldn't understand why anyone would want to move all the time or leave the comfort and consistency of home.

I look back now and think how I couldn't imagine my life being that constant and familiar again.  I've become a nomad in some ways and I love that.  Maybe a gypsy is a better description.  I enjoy the challenge of moving to a new home, city or even country and of course, I absolutely love packing my bag and traveling.  Albeit sad to say farewell to friends, one thing I have learnt in my years of traveling is that the world is really a small place and that somewhere in the great outdoors we will always cross paths again.

The biggest challenge is that my once small possessions have become a horde that makes packing up a wee bit hard and more complex.  No more can I throw everything into a box and chuck that into the boot of the car!!  Now it requires a team of packers and a sea container to move.  But that's okay because I apparently have 9 feet of length in the container left for more stuff and memories!!

I am eternally grateful for the life I have because through these wonderful and stressful moves, I have  made friends from all walks of life, from diverse cultures, religious beliefs and political backgrounds and that has only made my life richer.  I know that there are any number of countries around the world where I can always find a friendly face and a warm hug should I need it and I know that I always have a crazy family to run to in Oz when I need some family time!  So truly blessed.

So where does my life take me and you, my reader, next?  From the USA across the pond to the UK.

Stick with me...this is gonna be fun!!