Monday, July 28, 2014

Charm City

The beautiful Madam Baltimore...She goes by many names including The Charm City, The Monumental City, and Mobtown.  But until you decide for yourself, beautiful will work.  I thoroughly enjoyed Baltimore.  It is famous for so many reasons starting with its role in the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War, to being the home of "The Star-Spangled Banner", Edgar Allan Poe, James Blake, Billie Holiday and of course, Babe Ruth. But ultimately, this is quite simply a beautiful waterside city full of culture, culinary delights, history, great architecture and really interesting and diverse people.

There is so much to entertain visitors here. You could just chill and relax by the water, or visit one of the many museums and galleries, shop till you drop, or walk walk walk...as I did.  I also did two activities outside of my normal sphere of interest.  I took a tour of the historic Camden Yards Ball Park, home of the Boston Orioles baseball team and visited the National Aquarium.  Given where I come from, I am not normally into visiting aquariums but I did on this occasion and was wonderfully surprised and taken home!  The two newest displays were Black Tip Shark Reef, based on the Great Barrier Reef and its environment, and the second was Arnhem Land.  I was just chuffed but equally quite amused at the attendant who was determined to point out a Kookaburra and Flying Fox.

The Ball Park was equally well worth the journey.  I was most impressed though that the historic buildings incorporated into the ballpark design were all thanks to the foresight of a young woman and the Head Groundskeeper is the only women groundskeeper in the NBL.  It was equally kind of cool to be about to step out onto the grass at home plate and take in the atmosphere.